Being a mother always has its ups and downs, but motherhood during the month of May seems to take it to the extreme. First of all...I love being a mother, and I have nothing against May. I love May--the flowers, the warmer weather, etc. ! It is just very, very busy. For me, it is December's match--only my gift buying is for other people's children who are graduating or getting married. :)
I get to sing and dance with some fabulous, talented women in a group called "Friends In Harmony" and we perform all over Naperville for about 2 weeks in December and 2 weeks in May. This requires time, practice, and babysitting arrangements. Our collection of songs this spring was a lot of fun. A few of our songs were: "Chapel of Love", "At Last", "Lollipop", "What a Wonderful World", "Steppin' Out", "Say a Little Prayer For You", and "So Long, Farewell". We also had new costumes with petticoats! They looked cute, but required sewing and time--something I always seem to be lacking these days. Here we are after our "family performance."
The highlight of my month is, of course, Mother's Day! It is one of my favorite days of the year!!! Steve took all the kids by himself to a store to get me something. This was totally unnecessary, but a sweet gesture. I was allowed to read a bit Sunday morning and then was sent on a treasure hunt made by Carter. What a blast!A pile of gifts was on a table in the piano room. They got me earrings, perfume, a new saute pan, and a recorded singing card with the kids singing "You are my Sunshine" in HARMONY. Definitely, a treasure.
Another highlight here in Naperville is the Fine Arts Festival. Of course, it happened when we also had soccer games, the 100th Birthday Scout-o-rama celebration, and a ward talent show; however, it is fun to see the talent our area holds in its youth. Both Braxton and Evan had pieces of art chosen to display. They also sang in their school choirs.
And then there's Scouts. I love how scouts involves the fathers as well as the mothers. I love how I get recognized for OUR hard work and receive a pin. It reminds me of prom and having a corsage pinned on my dress. My male pinner always gets embarrassed, turns red, and can't stop giggling. It totally takes me back to high school, and is an exchange that I always look forward to.
Seminary. Steve had the privilege of teaching seminary (religious education) to the Sophomores every morning at 5:55am this year. I am so glad it's over!!! He comes out of his office before 11:00 at night and we've even seen a few movies in the last week! I have my husband back and it feels great! Now, the only disruption is that I have been called to be the Primary President (in charge of all of the kids 18 months -12 years at church), so my time is a little more limited. I'm just glad I have the summer to get my feet wet while Steve is not as divided among all his responsibilities.
And now we are to the last day of school. I am so confused by my emotions. I am thrilled to have a change of pace--no homework!!!! I am excited to hang out and enjoy the summer (especially since we don't have anyone swimming at 7:00 am this year). I am a little nervous about keeping them busy and engaged, especially with the span of ages. I look forward to having more time to hear what these kids are thinking about. I never feel like I have enough time to listen to everything they want to tell me. Evan and Carter, seen here with their walking buddies, are growing up and becoming cute little men with huge personalities and fun interests. Evan has discovered a certain girl, who is now a daily topic of conversation and teasing. I am definitely not ready for this stage.
I am in shock as to how fast these babies of mine are growing! I love watching them mature, but a tinge of sadness remains as they stop needing me to button their shirts or put their hair in a pony tail or prompt them with a correct /l/ sound.
I am so grateful for teachers, who invite the moms for a special musical programs in our honor. I live for this stuff!
Carter had a "Mother's Day Tea" where his portion of the class poem was
"I love my mom because...she ROCKS at the piano." I love Carter!
Can all my kids go back to being 5 years old for a day? They're so cute and fun!
Oh, Emma. She is so glad to be done with preschool and moving on to Kindergarten. She's become a speed demon on her 2 wheeler-bike and is growing like a weed. I love listening to her read books to Lizzie and sound out unfamiliar words. I love that she can swim across the pool by herself! I love that she assures me she can babysit Lizzie as long as Lizzie knows SHE is in charge.
I hope keeping up with these kids keeps me young.
2 comments:
glad I was sitting down to read this....YIKES! You are by far the most busy Mom ever! AMAZING LADY!
Incredible Kori!! Cherish every busy moment you have, they are gone before you know it!!
Post a Comment