Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Simply September

September is a month full of fun. I love the cooler weather, harvesting the garden, enjoying the sun, all the new stuff with school and activities, the sports, etc. I just wish it weren't so darn busy!!! In General Conference, President Uchdorf spoke to me. Now I know he was speaking to people all around the world, but I could feel the words penetrate into my mind and my spirit. My problem is implementing the "simplification" he was suggesting. I have 5 kids doing lots of great stuff right now! Plus, doesn't he realize it's fall? Simplify September. Hmmmm. How?
I don't know what to cut out. There's piano, choir, orchestra, cub scouts, webelos, young mens, 4 swim teams, football, soccer, homework, and eating and sleeping fit somewhere in there. I've decided I'm pushing through the end of October and then re-evaluating then. At least football and soccer will have finished by then. But then there's basketball, and hula classes, and...

Well, here are some of our September highlights.

Emma's cheer camp had its climax at our high school's JV football team's half-time. She and her 2 great friends shook their hips, jumped, and cheered their hearts out.

"Roar!" says this future wildcat.

Lizzie is in preschool now! She and her buddy Grant are attending together. She loves it! She is cracking me up coming home with all of her songs, crafts, and stories about the kids and teachers at class. I can't believe the information I'm able to get from her. My other kids basically could only remember the snack for the day. She's amazing me with how big she's getting!

FOOTBALL!
Evan is #73 on the Bills. They are currently undefeated...and have not found any team to be remotely close in any stats. His team from last year, which was made up of boys all from his school was disbanded as they all went to traveling teams...all but Evan and one other player. Evan and friend got put on another school's team, which has totally welcomed us with open arms. These are classy boys with kind, supportive parents. The coaching staff could not be greater. Steve and I can't believe the difference in our football experience this year, and also in our son's abilities. It is a treat to watch him on the offensive line open up the holes for the RBs to drive through. Wow!

Give him room!

Evan is engaging his man.
Ah, soccer! Carter has had the opportunity to be invited onto a competitive soccer team. The level of play is definitely a step up. He is also loving it! He has a lot of friends on the team and is improving his skills. Here he is after kicking a goal. I love watching him hustle!

This is Carter's good friend, who is another excellent player. He played goalie during a really difficult game and saved at least 20 attempts on goal. He's amazing!

Emma is playing kindergarten soccer, which is a little different from Carter's soccer. :) She is having fun and looks darling in her uniform. Skills, well, we're working on it.

Braxton and Carter had the opportunity to participate in a program called "Boys' Power Sing" hosted by our high school's choral directors and a community vocal organization (Young Naperville Singers, which Braxton was a part of years ago). Its purpose was to get boys excited about continuing in the choral programs offered in the school and community. For a few hours one Saturday morning, they learned a handful of fun "boyish" songs and rhythms, ate pizza, socialized with boys from 3rd-12th grade and put on a concert at the end. They had a great time and sounded quite good.

Carter was chosen to be one of the 2 yodelers in one song and he definitely made his voice heard. :)
He is definitely, without a doubt, a born performer.

1 comment:

The Stradling Family said...

Your kids are good at everything! What cuties. Let me know how the simplification process goes. :)