Thursday, June 2, 2011

The E B virus

I have one sick little boy. Three weeks ago, Evan said his throat hurt and he had a headache. About a week later, he got a cough that progressively got worse. I had tons of people telling me that there was something going around where people were getting coughs lasting 3 weeks. We were trying lots of different things to help him feel better, but this cough persisted. Then he stopped having energy and was laying on the couch all the time. Evan is not one to sit (even to eat!) let alone lie down. I knew something was wrong, but we were going into the long weekend and he was sleeping a lot. Everyday I thought he'd wake up feeling better because he was sleeping so much!

His fever didn't want to break, he was shivering all the time, had body aches, and finally couldn't walk himself up the stairs. After dealing with this for 4 days, I finally took him in. The doctor sent us to the hospital for a chest x-ray and lab work. That's where I got this lovely photo of him. He was hacking so much while we were getting him registered that the lady had me run over and grab him a mask. Then when he couldn't stop his teeth from chattering, I was able to grab a warm blanket from the x-ray lab. At home, we started him on his antibiotic and waited for the results.

Evan tested positive for both tests for Epstein Barr, meaning that he's had it for a while. His white blood count was also quite high, indicating his body trying to fight off the other ailments that were attacking his weak immune system. Poor kid! He had tons of questions (he's weak, but he's still Evan) so we googled it. After reading a bit, he assured me that he'd only ever kissed Dad and me. :) He also found it funny that Epstein Barr has the same initials as Evan Bird, so he claimed it as his own virus. According to him, he was destined to get it. Whatever.

We're now trying to figure out how to deal with half of a summer with no sports or parks. Carter is struggling to know if this is good or bad. On one hand, his basketball buddy is so weak, he can hardly shoot, so that's bad. On the other hand, Carter has passed Evan in weight, since Evan has gone from 90lbs down to 81.4 in 2 weeks. And that's after actually eating today! Carter feels superior now that he is a lean mean 88lb playing machine. Boys.

I hope and pray Evan feels better in a few weeks. It's hard for me to look at him with his dark sunken eyes as he sleeps on the couch with his eyes half-open and moaning. I am praying for a miracle to make this go away quickly.

3 comments:

Jenny Smith said...

Poor Evan! I hope he starts feeling better soon. I didn't realize you were dealing with this. Let me know if I can help.

Kate said...

Poor guy! I have gone through that and it is miserable! You want to feel better and get up, but you are ALWAYS soooo tired. I hopt he feels better soon.

The Stradling Family said...

I hope he is starting to recover!