Monday, January 12, 2009

Family Adventures

Between Christmas and the New Year, Steve and I took the kids on 2 field trips--1. Brookfield Zoo's Holiday Lights and Magic night show and 2. Museum of Science and Industry. Both were fun. I got some cute pictures of the kids and have to share them.








We really had a good time. It wasn't too cold that evening and we got to see some different behaviors from some of the animals. A male penguin was "singing" for a mate. A leopard was on the prowl jumping around his exhibit and walking so close to the glass that my girls jumped back. The bats were extremely active. My boys were in awe. I was very impressed by the amount of lights on every tree and at every building. It made me miss temple square in SLC, but it had a small laser show, Christmas music playing around the zoo, and characters for small ones to hug.
The Museum of Science and Industry
The center tree

This exhibit explains photographic images and pixels. It's a hallway of mirrors. Can any kid ever get enough of his/her reflection?
My favorite room, "Fast Forward"--inventions for the future.
A gown of LCDs.

This is the "Toy maker" where is teaches how a spinning top is made. If you could zoom in, Evan's face is actually projected onto the manequin's face.


We discovered the space room. It was "out of this world!"


I will say that we will probably NEVER go to the museum on New Years Eve again as it was a free day and absolutely packed! Steve met us downtown after his flight got in and I had to park by the University of Chicago and walk in 5 degree weather with 2 crying girls for a mile to get to the entrance. I'm sure in a few years I won't remember the ordeal it was to just get indoors, but it's pretty fresh now. It's a good thing there's lots to see and get distracted with.:) Plus...the festival of trees from around the world was beautiful. It will be nice in years to come when the kids are older to return and actually enjoy things like that. Overall, we had a wonderful time. The kids loved sharing these fun places with their Dad as he doesn't usually get to accompany us. This is what makes the holidays so special for me as an adult.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

ounds like a lot of work, but it sounds like a ton of fun!