Monday, March 15, 2010

Taste a Rainbow

In this month's Family Fun, there is a page with a recipe for Rainbow cupcakes. When Emma saw them, she just HAD to have them for our Family Home Evening treat. After the persistent and sweet pleading (along with her getting her sister and brothers to gang up on me), I caved. Yes, it is an artifical coloring nightmare, but is it not beautiful? Everyone must understand I've always had an affinity for rainbows. I love the variety of colors, the organization, the promise associated with them, etc. I had one on my wall above my bed, etched into my glasses, decorating my folders, an entire page devoted to them in my sticker collection book, and yes, my shirts are hung in rainbow order. I know this is too much information, but now you know why I couldn't pass up the chance to cap my rainbow fetish with the baking of these beautiful cakes. Plus, my children were literally jumping in their begging, jumping as they waited for their turn to build them, and jumping as they anxiously awaited the finished product. It was a very exciting night!!!

This is the finished product cut in half so that you can see this gorgeous baked delicacy. :)

I'm opening it up to see the layered colors inside. Yep! They're in there!



Well, you start out with a white cake mix, prepared according to directions on the box. Then divide the batter among 6 bowls. Add food coloring in each bowl so that all 6 colors are represented--red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. Then put a nice sized dollop (I love that word) in a muffin cup. Now, I used the large Reynolds foil cups that don't need to be put in a muffin tin. You just put them on a cookie sheet to bake. I am glad I did because 6 tablespoons of batter +- the kid factor makes for a lot of batter that could easily spill out of a normal sized cupcake liner.

Each child "called" which color was theirs to assemble. Having 5 kids and myself, it worked out perfectly! My eye is twitching as I am recalling the scraping of the batter into the cups by my children. It was a bit nerve-wrecking, but with quite a bit of help from mom and some training on how to scrape the batter off of the spoon the most efficiently (apparrently, this is not a skill people are born with), we got the batter in the cups. Hallelujah!























Ahh! It took so much control for the kids not to lick their finger after every dollop! Pure relief when they (and even I) could lick that finger!!!




Stick them in the oven until they're done. Let them cool and enjoy heaven in all of its most vivid colors. :)





Enjoy the smiles!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


FYI: to those who know me, I honestly did NOT match my tablecloth to the dessert. It just happened that way. I promise! But still, isn't that awesome?!

2 comments:

Amy said...

CUTE cupcakes! They are beautiful! I'll have to remember those for FHE. I like the refreshment to match (or somehow corralate) to the lesson. Those would be great for a Noah lesson! thanks for sharing! And I can see the patience needed for those! Good job!

Jenny Smith said...

Kudos to you and all your bakers! I am also sending you a special fist bump from one mom to another--that project takes patience and nerves of steel.