Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Fashion Show

Living in a small town with a only a JCPenneys and a Sears catalogue pick-up store, one of my favorite memories is writing down what we needed and what we wanted for school the next year.  We would then drive into Salt Lake City to shop for an entire weekend.  I'm sure my brothers and dad HATED it, but it was a highlight of my summer.

Now as an adult, buying clothing for my children, especially as they grow and grow at amazing rates of speed, is not nearly as fun, although we do have moments.  Shopping with the girls cracks me up!  I am lucky to have 3 boys born close together and then 2 girls, so that I can pass clothes down fairly easily.  I am also overwhelmingly blessed with friends and neighbors and even hairstylists who take pity on the size of my "nest" and donate their clothes to us.  Because of this, I don't have to buy much for the kids, EVER!  I've just recently had to start buying clothes for Braxton (32x34 or mens' Medium!  He's huge!), but even with him, my Dad has kept us comfortable with shirts that are cut a little too tight and shoes, ties, belts, etc. that he is done with.  Thanks, Dad!

Nevertheless, I do understand the joy and excitement of getting new clothes for the beginning of school. At my favorite 2nd hand store, Once Upon a Child, they had a clearance event where many items were $1.  So, I took the girls (Emma needed 2 pairs of pants and Lizzie knew that if she came along, she may end up getting a new item because I'm a softie.)  Carter was bored and tagged along, too.  We hit the jackpot.  I wish every item I bought was only $1, but they were pretty close.  The girls kept wanting to show their dad what they'd acquired, so we decided to have a fashion show before dinner.  They wrote up programs and even invited Braxton and Evan along.  Carter was in the show because he can't handle NOT being in the spotlight.  Here were some of our models and the outfits, they put together.  Notice the stances.  I have never taught them any of this!!!  My girls were born knowing how to do this!  I loved seeing each personality completely come out as they walked on "stage."


Walking with attitude down the catwalk.


Shaking it so we get the full effect!


This one shocked all of us and kept us laughing until our stomachs hurt.  Braxton was so embarrassed he had to leave the room!

I think we're going to have to make this an annual event!