Friday, December 14, 2012

One year older and wiser, too...

Steve had a birthday, shout "Hooray!"
The girls were so excited for their dad's birthday.  They wrote about it in their journals, made him multiple cards, sang to him frequently, and give him lots of birthday hugs.
 They've got him wrapped around their fingers, but...
I think it's mutual.
Lizzie has always been a daddy's girl.  All the other kids grew up with Steve traveling 3-5 days a week, but his job changed around the time she was born, and she has been able to bond with him more than the others.  Everyday she can, she knocks on his office door to give him a home-from-school-hug.  It's huge.  She wraps her arms around his neck and her feet around his middle and squeezes with all her might. ;)  Steve lives for her hugs.

 Steve received a few new shirts, dutch oven liners, a gift card for dinner, candy, and the new Voice Male Christmas CD.
We couldn't let our dad get out of going through the spanking machine.  I remember doing this as a kid and loving it!  Everyone lines up in 2 lines facing each other, then the birthday boy/girl runs down the aisle of spankers the number of years he/she is old.  Due to his age, we weren't going to make him run 42 times.  He would be exhausted and sore.  So, we figured out with 6 people (Grandma & Grandpa wouldn't spank him--they must have got enough in when he was little), he had to run 7 times to get in 42 spankings.  Grandpa tried getting in on the action and ran once for fun, though. :)  Crazy man!

I am so grateful for this man.  I appreciate how hard he works for our family and how he brings life, humor, and spiritual strength to our home.  He is my greatest listener and one of my cheerleaders.  He's a great dad and a wonderful communicator.  I loved watching him hold our babies against his chest, making them look so small and teeny.  Now, I love watching him wrestle with the big boys and accept the pampering of the girls.  I love his curly hair and his 52" shoulders.  I love knowing he will always keep me warm and let me have a bite of his dessert.  I envy his straight, no-braces-needed teeth and his amazing knowledge of the scriptures.  I appreciate his business savvy and interest in politics, economics, and current events.  I love his enthusiasm for food and music.  I get chills everytime he sings.  I love that our kids want him to be their teacher & scout master because of his uncanny ability to teach.  I love it when he tells me he loves me and leans over to kiss me after every blessing on the food.  I love you, Steve!  Happy Birthday!...and many more!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Mandi hit the nail on the head when she said that she can't imagine our family without Steve in it.