Sunday, June 14, 2009

Buzz Lightyear-to infinity and beyond



If I were to quote Evan, "Today was the saddest day in my life." Buzz went to live with another family today. Buzz Lightyear is our beagle-lab mixed dog, whom we rescued a little over 5 years ago. Steve and I started discussing this possibility a few months ago. As he has been working from home more, the dog has become more of an issue. Buzz has discovered that if he wants to be let in and I am not doing my job, he just has to go bark and whine at Steve's window to get what he wants. I admit, I hate that Buzz eats and destroys poopy diapers if not immediately disposed of in the OUTSIDE trash can. Right now, he is a financial burden that is causing stress, especially as we are planning a trip and his boarding costs would equal an airplane ticket. Braxton has also been diagnosed with a dog allergy (among everything else in the environment) and after 3 years of shots & medications, he still is really struggling. Anyways...the day after Memorial day, we had a loud and violent thunderstorm. Buzz, who had just returned to us the night before (because of our fun family vacation to the Dells), FREAKS OUT with thunder and was terrified to be left alone in the house. As I was trying to load up the van to pick up and drop off at swim team practice, he kept sneaking into the van and not obeying my commands. I, three times, had to pull him out by his collar (of course, he peed on 2 seats as I was grabbing his collar). I had to drag him down the stairs to put him in his crate. He wiggled out of my grasp just as I was putting him in and was hiding under our indoor playground/slide toy. When I went to again grab his collar, he bit me on the wrist. I was bruised for over a week, and one tooth mark actually broke the skin. That solidified his fate. Of course, he was an angel for the next 2 weeks.


Well, we called the dog-finder who found Buzz for us as well as the rescuer that housed him when he was born. They helped us find 2 interested homes. The first fell through when his dog-walker told him she didn't think it'd be a good idea for him to have 2 male dogs together. The next home was one with an older couple who had recently lost their bulldog. Thursday was the day for the hand-off. Wednesday night we received a call that the wife had died in the hospital that day. Yes, it's true. What are the odds?


Friday night, the daughter of this poor couple called and said that her dad was still interested and was excited to have a friend in the house with him. So, Sunday evening was the scheduled appointment.

All day today, Evan was arguing with me over our reasons to give Buzz away. He was an absolute emotional wreck. So, we took a few pictures of us with our dog as we said good-bye. Steve said Buzz's new owner is a nice, old, farmer who won't make Buzz sleep in a crate and wants to take him for rides in his car. This man's daughter has 2 fat dachsunds and they played marvelously in the backyard together. We're thrilled Buzz will be loved. He really is a good dog and will probably never bite again. I have surprised myself with the tinge of sadness, and the few tears that have come, but I think that's more in response to Evan's broken heart. Carter has already asked for a guinea pig, but I have told him that they bite and I won't have anything that bites for quite a while. I'm thinking maybe a hermit crab in a few months.



4 comments:

The Stradling Family said...

Hopefully the emotional trauma will pass quickly. I'm glad that things worked out.

Mandi said...

This makes me sad,too. Your kids will always remember Buzz and what a good, fun dog he was.

Jenny Smith said...

Okay, the clever title of your post put a little smile on my face, but then all those pictures and stories about Buzz's new home now have me tearing up. I am glad you were able to find a good place for him and teach your kids that sometimes making the right decision can be heartbreaking.

The Nisbets said...

We've been there....it will be for the best!