I don't know how it happens, but every year, my birthday keeps showing up. It is an uninvited guest--except for the fact that my kids get so excited to celebrate with me. This year, April 22nd went a little differently. We woke up, the kids sang to me (since I'd forgotten), Steve went off to a business meeting. Sounds normal, except for the fact that we happened to have arrived in Utah just hours earlier and were preparing to meet family for a funeral--Steve's Grandma Jex passed away the previous Monday morning.
My parents have a lovely condo in Murray, where we were lucky enough to stay. They live just a hop, skip, and a jump away from a park and walk along a river. Because it wasn't raining or freezing (like Chicago), we ventured out for some fresh air.
My kids had a great time with the chance to be outside. Even I had to have a turn on this bouncy thing that we'd never tried before.

Braxton was so funny...he was mesmerized by the mountains. "They're more beautiful than the pictures!" He asked no less than 3 times why we don't live there anymore. I tried to convince him one of the lessons I've learned from my moves: Every place has its goods and bads and you have to learn to love the positives and be happy where you live. (I do miss the mountains, though.)




After the park, we picked up Grandpa and headed to In N Out. I am not a huge hamburger fan, but I LOVE their "single animal style". Mmmm! My neice, LJ, loves their fries--even if she eats them off of a stool so that she can feel big like her cousins. :)

After eating, we headed over to Grandpa and Grandma's pool to burn off In N Out. They have a "race track" with a strong current that is unique. I loved catching up with Steve's sister, Lynette, while watching our children have fun together. I adore her and wish our reunions weren't so far and few between.

The viewing was a fun and educational experience. So exciting to see Steve's extended family--they are great to be with! I am very lucky to have married into a group of happy, faithful, loving people. My kids, of course, were intrigued by Grandma's body. With it being Easter weekend, we had a lot of deep conversations on the Plan of Salvation, the true meaning of Easter, and Christ's resurrection. What an event to really drive home the message. Of course there were tears, but it was more of a relief that she was with her husband and family members again.

For our family dinner/birthday dinner, we headed over to
the Mayan, where they have live shows for entertainment as you eat. The divers are fantastic, the music is fun, and their new act had a woman who could do acrobatics hanging from the ceiling with a hoop (pictured below) as well as long ribbons. She was the boys' favorite part. Some of the younger children were scared of the jungle and storm noises, but mine had perma-grins. Totally worth it.

Still on their high from getting to go out to a restaurant with live entertainment. It's good to keep them sheltered, then everything is exciting. :)

Lovely Lynette (with Steve's encouragement) stole away to pick up a cake so as to surprise me when we dropped them off at their hotel. I love being serenaded to (especially with all the harmonies my Bird family can pull off), especially in public settings. It makes the birthday seem more special for some reason. Mr. Bird, my sweet husband, tried so hard throughout the day to make my birthday not be overshadowed by the funeral and busy-ness of keeping everyone happy and kids engaged. Also for my birthday, my sister made me an appliqued pillow with a card that made me cry (love you Mandi), my mom paid for my plane ticket so that we could spend some time together, my in-laws got me a book and money to shop (without guilt-yea!), and Steve paid for my tickets to womens conference at BYU. Thus, my birthday lasted over a week. I'm one lucky thirty-something lady!
2 comments:
LIzzy told me that you couldn't have cake for your birthday b/c it would get all over the plane. :) I'm glad that you guys had so much fun.
You deserve every day to be like a birthday. You're one amazing lady! I want to be just like you when I grow up. :)
Post a Comment