Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Friends in Harmony


I have a unique opportunity to sing throughout the school year with 10 talented women (2 don't sing, but play the piano for us).  This has been a privilege.  At times, I didn't think I could continue because the time commitment in December and May are immense; however, I absolutely LOVE singing with these ladies.  I love the camaraderie, the friendship, and the strength I receive from being around these tremendous women every week.  I also love sharing the gift of music to those who need a gift.  We perform mostly at assisted living centers, where I feel we do some good bringing cheer to the residents.
 This year (according to Steve) we have the best program:
It's the Holiday Season
Santa Clause is Comin' to Town
Happy Holidays
Little Drummer Boy
Jingle Bell Rock
Jingle Bell Fantasy
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas/Pinecones & Hollyberries
What Child is This
Fun, Fun, Fun (spoof off of Fum, Fum, Fum)
Light Up the Tree
Silent Night
 Our Crowd Favorite is Jingle Bell Fantasy.  It's spectacular!  We have so much fun playing it up!

 We go for a ride in our imaginary sleigh and have to take sharp corners.  Check out the facial expressions here!  Diana in the middle is my favorite!  This year Lisa started screaming around the 2nd turn.  A fun surprise!

 Can you tell we have so much fun!

Rachel Bodily is outrageous!  I love this girl.  She is my GPS, driving buddy, a true friend, and I have so much fun with her!  She is also our Primary Chorister, but is heading over to YW this week.  We were so lucky to have her for 2 years!

I actually choreographed the song "Fun, Fun, Fun" but love how everyone else adds spice.  Here the sopranos Fa, la, la in front of the altos stealing the glory, so we try to keep them in check.

I was really getting into this part, I guess.

"Light up the Tree" is my least favorite, but everytime we turn the lights on, the crowd "oohs" and "aaahs".  When we do a little hop, they giggle.  It's so fun to hear their reactions as we sing through the songs for the 100th time.

I was looking forward to being finished with our performing season because the first 2 weeks of December were CRAZY! Now, though, I'm missing my sisters' faces and serving the community in this small way.  I also miss hearing Lisa bear her testimony and speak of our witness of the greatest gift ever given, the gift of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  It brought me back to our purpose every time!  

3 comments:

Marie said...

I love this group!!! Not only are you all beautiful inside and out, but are all so incredibly talented.

birdmama said...

Thanks, Mom!

Lisa and Doug said...

Singing with you is one of the best things in my life. I'm so glad you have stayed with it.