Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thanksgiving in ELKO

It has been 10 years since we have had Thanksgiving at my mom and dad's!  I was so excited to go back home!  The kids were even more excited because they had cousins waiting for them!




 We all watched some football, basketball, movies, and ate, and talked a lot.
Friday, my Dad had us visit the Pioneer Trail Center just outside of Elko.  It's a great interactive museum that we all enjoyed.

We learned about how the pioneers talked of seeing the elephant--whether that meant a feeling of being overwhelmed by what they encountered once they were in the West or by the excitement of what was waiting for them.

The pioneers were quite resourceful in coming up with ways to measure distance and create maps.

 I'm amazed at how the desire to dress up never gets old for these kids.








Outside the museum is a trail that takes you to a little bluff where you can look out and see the real trail and terrain that the settlers came through.  It probably doesn't look like much to many, but I think this is beautiful!  I have so many memories of going lizard hunting and exploring out in the middle of nowhere.  It's so calm and peaceful.  Love it!

My dad setting the pace with his grandsons and of course, Carter is walking on the edge.

These girls are so dang cute!  They are so funny with what they say, what they play, the songs, they make up and sing.  I'm so glad we've been able to get them together!  Their relationships are so precious, which probably is why the movie Frozen was the PERFECT one to see together!

Did anyone else want to give their sister a big hug afterwards? 

This was the other movie we got to see.  LOVED IT!  One of my favorite things as a parent is to read the books that my kids are reading and experience the literature as well as the movie interpretation with them.  It always gives us motivation to finish certain books and great discussions.

This young man drove us to and from Elko (with a little reprieve on the 2 lane highway with tons of semis).  Scary!  He's getting better and better.  I am actually starting to look forward to him being able to drive himself to all his activities so that I don't have to!  That's a huge step for me!

No comments: