Currently, Steve's favorite TV show is "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" on the Food Network. The host of the show, Guy, goes all around the country to restaurants that the locals love. Well, over spring break, we decided to try 2 of them on our short trip to Springfield, IL. 
The Chicken Basket is obviously known for its chicken...and it was good. It is at the beginning of Route 66 and tucked behind some hotels and gas stations. They were serving a lunch buffet, which made my boys so excited that Steve and I were nearly embarrassed. The kids also got to order Route 66 soda pop in an old fashioned bottle. Carter said that he felt so grown-up drinking pop from a bottle. Emma kept repeating, "This is so cool." Dell Rhea's would definitely be labeled as a "dive" in my book. Steve and I were a little nervous as we were following our directions to the next DD&D featured establishment the following day.
5 comments:
You guys always do the coolest things!
Yum. I get jealous every time I think of you eating at DD&D places.
My wife beat me to the jealous comment. I love that show, but it always makes me ridiculously hungry in a way that nothing in the house can satisfy. And since we usually watch it somewhat late at night, usually on Sunday, it's basically the Food Network equivalent of waterboarding for me.
This is my favorite show too! Eating a shoe has been on our Springfield to-do list...you beat us!
Our family tried one of the "Dives" that was featured on the show the last time were in Springfield. I can't remember the name but it was on route 66 and served corn dogs. Ashley had a horrible stomach flu, so we all associate that place with Ashley being sick.
...reminds me of the red iguana in SLC on North Temple. How fun!
Post a Comment