Sunday, June 20, 2010

Emotional attachments

I have realized that I have some (probably unhealthy) emotional attachments to objects. I have many wedding and baby gifts that I have had to keep because of the person who gave it to me. I wish I could toss things, but it is really hard. My mother, bless her heart, has given me a few things since I've been married. One of which is this table. This table was hers when she was a little girl. It has 4 matching chairs. This set has been involved in numerous craft projects, games, creative play scenarios, etc. I loved this table growing up and loved seeing my kids use it. Well, the table has officially been retired due to a worn-out hinge. Emma and Lizzie are now in a pink room with a new pink IKEA table and 2 pink chairs. I'm sure the table and chairs will not last as long as my "star" table, but it's what the girls wanted and it matched.

This next one is seriously like a portal from Harry Potter transporting me back in time. When I look at Cookie's big googly eyes, I feel like I'm a small child again, sneaking a cookie from the cookie jar. I guess I had a thing for Cookie Monster. I love the song, "C is for Cookie." I love how he says "yum, yum, yum" as he eats his cookies. I love his zest for sweets. He's so cute. For Christmas, my parents got me this cookie jar when I was about 3 years old. He's been superglued before, but this time, the fall was too much. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Cookie together again. Believe me. I tried for 3 days. I am giving up. So long, Cookie Monster.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Farewell, little star table! I have many, many memories of that table as well involving forts, puzzles, and fingernail painting.

Marie said...

I feel a tear or two coming on. I can still visualize all my children working or eating lunch at that table. It's like saying good-bye to an old friend.