Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Madison 100

On June 11th, we had the opportunity to drive up to Madison, Wisconsin and enjoy all her beauty once again. I love this city. It has such a great zoo--and it's free! It was a perfect day to visit being overcast with a little sprinkling. All of the animals were out. I just added 5 more.

Simba did not roar this afternoon, but posed for us. He's gorgeous!

This is a cebu. It actually came up to the kids and let them pet him. What an experience!!


If you haven't read Hooway for Wodney Wat, then you should. It's one of my favorite children's books. It also features a capybara named "Camilla." This capybara slid into the water, stood on its hind legs and watched us in her know-it-all fashion just like Camilla Capybara in our beloved book. We got a kick out of her. ;)

The polar bear would only let us see his rear end. In noticing this, Evan said, "Talk to the booty 'cause the hand is off duty." He then had everyone pose in the "talk to the booty" pose. Nice. I could barely take a clear photo as I struggled controlling my laughing. :)


The kids have to get a picture on the giant tortoise statue every time we come. Tears were involved because of placement and "I called it" type of statements. Oh, well. We got the picture, saw the real tortoise slowly meandering about, and can call it good. Another tradition fulfilled.


Emma LOVES pink. She's giving a thumbs up to the flamingos for being so fashion savvy.

I was a softy and let them ride the carousel. How can I deny a smile like that?

My cute kids!



This next one is my favorite. I learned a new trick on Picasa, too. :)
Lizzie is so fun to watch play and explore.
The boys had a great time on these really long swings. In the end, though, they were both complaining that they're getting too big for them because their tushies hurt.


My baby!
The real reason we came to Madison was for the Madison 100, a bike race. As of Friday night, Steve didn't know if he was going to ride the 100K or the 100 miler--it depended on the weather. It turned out that he did the full 100 miles!! I'm so proud of him! What an accomplishment~especially for someone who just got a bike at Christmas! I love how official he looks in all of his gear!

What a great moment! We are ALL impressed and proud of our dad!
It was fun to share this event with friends. Steve gets to ride with a pack of spectacular men. These men happen to have great wives and really fun kids, too! :)

I had to post this picture of Braxton with Lizzie. She wanted him more than she wanted me on this day. I guess it is because he gives in to her every whine and even carries her on his shoulders. I think I've convinced her that I'm too old for that. Thank heavens Braxton is such a good sport and an even better brother.

I had to capture this road sign! It's a shame when I passed BRAXTON AVE in downtown Madison, I was too worried about being lost and didn't get a picture. How lucky are we that we have streets named after us!


We got some of the riding crew and their families to head over to Ella's Deli to refuel before driving home. This is the most unique restaurant I've been to. It is chock-full of games, moving toys, and eclectic gadgets all over the walls, the ceiling, and even in the tables. You've got to see it to understand what I'm saying--even though there isn't much rhyme or reason to the decor. It's just a kid's paradise.
Plus, there's ice cream. GOOD ice cream. Emma got the superman ice cream, which is also known as Playdough Ice cream in other parts of the country.


I was trying to persuade Lizzie towards a chocolate cookie dough or mint chip or something else, since she usually needs a little help, but no. If it's what Emma wants, it's what Lizzie wants. Daddy did more helping than I.
The Saturday AM bikers.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Aw, man. I sure do love Madison! I wish we could have been there with you!