Sunday, January 30, 2011

Girls' Night/Boys' Night

For Christmas, the boys got tickets to go see a Chicago Wolves' Hockey game with their dad and some friends. They left around 5:00 on a Saturday night, leaving us poor females at home with nothing to do....NOT! We quickly ate some dinner and got picked up by our girlfriends and headed to the mall. We entered the Painted Penguin with anticipation as we looked at the many choices surrounding us to paint. I admit, I was a nervous wreck the whole time. Everything in that store is fragile and breakable and I have Lizzie, who loves to touch! Sure enough, she picked up a figurine of teddy bears and penguins, dropped it, and broke off the top penguin. You break it, you bought it. So, that was her statue to paint. Emma struggled choosing, but I was able to persuade her to a darling cupcake that can serve as a holder for whatever she chooses. Cute & functional. Love it! We chose all of our colors and got right to work. I really tried helping Lizzie. In the end, as I helped Emma finish hers up, Lizzie took over on her own and the entire thing ended up a nice mix of brown, pink, black, yellow, and purple. Contrastingly, Emma's looked darling.

Lizzie is drying the multiple layers of paint that are heaped on those poor bears.
Emma is so excited to see the finished product all sparkly and nearly ready to take home.

While we waited for the figurines to "cure" or dry, we went to the fountain to make a wish and get some wiggles out.


Lizzie and Hailey discovered they had matching shirts a few days previous and planned on being twinners for the night. Cuties! I seriously can't believe little Alyssa never broke anything or got paint on herself. She's an amazing little girl with a quick mom. :)
Upon returning home, we had dessert--ice cream sundaes with lots of sprinkles. A bath in the big jacuzzi tub was what was necessary after the ice cream, so the girls played in the tub and wanted more of a spa experience. Using what we had, I grabbed my old faithful, Noxema, and plastered it all over our faces. I wish I'd grabbed my camera! They were so funny. Of course, I had a request for cucumbers (where have they seen that?) for their eyes, but they were having too much fun playing in the tub and with cucumbers, you have to be lying down to keep them on. After pretty-smelling lotion was rubbed all over their bodies, they got a manicure and pedicure. We then got in my bed and when I turned on the TV, lo and behold, it was the Miss America Pageant!!! Can you get any more girly?! We watched the last 20 minutes of the show and went to sleep all cuddled in my bed listening to Josh Groban.
Wow! What a night! I could get used to these.
I had a whole list of things to do while Steve was off with the boys and after I got the girls down early, but I'm so glad we did this instead. We really had fun together. The girls are repeatedly asking for a Noxema mask now. I think I have created "faux spa" monsters. As long as I can supervise, I think I'm OK with it.

1 comment:

The Stradling Family said...

What a cute idea to do facials! You must be the best mom EVER!!!