Sunday, September 9, 2012

2012 Summer Vacation - Homeward Bound

 Monday, July 30th was a travel day...17 hours of driving.  After Lexington, we tried to get a 4 hour head start and drove until midnight when Steve became too tired to continue.  The next morning, Steve realized that we were getting close to Palmyra.  Knowing I had family there, we had to stop!  My mom's sister, Wynette and her husband, Richard are mission presidents over the church history sites in Palmyra!  
 Before getting out of the car, I could see my Aunt Wynette speed-walking out of the visitor's center to give me a hug!!  It's a good thing to be loved!  It was so fun introducing my kids to this wonderful woman, who I always looked up to as another mom. I remember so many times visiting her--sometimes for weeks--and playing with her kids (she had 7) and watching my mom talk and talk and talk and be a sister instead of "just a mom."  She also had a pool, trampoline, toys, and a nintendo!  Whoa!  She would also let her kids eat at night.  I specifically remember talking to my brother about how lucky our cousins were because they got to have "junk" cereals (our mom's name for cereals like lucky charms, Trix, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.) for breakfast!  No way!  She made it heaven for us!  She also loved us despite our foolish ways.  We laughed about me spreading Mentholatum all over her house during my "nap" time when I was young.  She found it for weeks all over--inside her lampshades, on her bedding, the carpet, on pillows, walls, everywhere.  At least it smelled minty, right?

We didn't have time to go into the Sacred Grove or the Smith's homes, but we stopped at the Palmyra for another "temple touch."



We tried another DDD stop.  2nd worst so far.  Steve even got the Guy Fieri platter that features every food they highlighted on the show.  Mine was much better.  Poor service, too expensive.  Buyer Beware! It was worth a shot, right?!  And it got us out of the car for an hour.
 Kirtland, OH was our next stop before our stretch home.  


Is it a wonder that after all this time together--even 17 hours together in our van-- that the kids are still smiling?  I have to say that I have terrific kids--they're not perfect, but they are my life's work and I am pretty proud of them.  Touching these temples made me so grateful that I can be with them for all eternity.  I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father granting me the opportunity to marry a worthy, intelligent, driven, and fun man who helps me with these amazing children.  I am grateful for the gospel and the plan that God has for each of us.  What an amazing life!  What an amazing trip!  When can we do it again?  or should I say...where are we going next summer?

No comments: