Sunday, September 9, 2012

Summer Vacation 2012 - Hamden, CT

After the museum, we traveled up to Hamden, Connecticut to visit my brother, Matt, his wife, Becca, and John, their darling 2 year old. This is their cute house where they live.  DARLING!
They had a free concert in the park featuring Three Dog Night.  I don't know a lot of their songs, but my kids and I totally enjoyed "Shambala," their best. The kids still prefer the a cappella version covered by Rockappella, however.  Definitely a beautiful evening filled with pizza, music, and cookies. Yum!
Emma is here dancing with John.
This was the start of a bond that is currently being stretched across the miles. These 2 were inseparable. Emma loved being his buddy and taking care of him and John wanted no one, but her.


We packed our Saturday full.  Blueberry picking was first on the itinerary.  
This was Steve's first experience.  He's never been able to go with us in Illinois.
Here he is teasing me because of my efficient and serious picking.  I picked more than everyone else combined and had a hard time stopping..."just a few more"...even as we were exiting the blueberry patch--(maybe that's why my kids traditionally have not liked picking with me). I thought I should get a pat on the back, but he was even trying to get the cashier into it.
I love this shot because of Becca's baby belly!  So cute!  Can't wait for a niece!

Next, we were off to the beach.  It was drizzling, but we still had our picnic and a few laughs before we were rained out.  The boys turned this branch into a chin-up bar, so Matt helped everyone work out their muscles before eating lunch.  It made me chuckle as Becca was preparing food for 10 of us.  15 sandwiches seemed like overkill and took over every inch of counterspace, but there were no leftovers.  I admit, I still am shocked by the amount of food I have to prepare for my family.

The whole crazy family!

Due to the rain, Matt took us on a gorgeous drive to a look-out point where we could see the city.
He's going to love it here!
Family Photo Time
Living near campus provides terrific dining opportunities.  Matt and Becca introduced us to a delicious Mexican restaurant.

While we were at Matt's, the Olympics began.  So, our off time was filled with watching highlights of the Opening ceremonies and early events.  What better thing to pair it with than Frozen Hot Chocolate?!  Two years earlier, I had the privilege of flying out to Las Vegas, NV and staying with Matt and Becca for John's baby blessing.  While I was there one night, Becca made frozen hot chocolate.  I had never heard of such a thing!  Since then I'd told myself to make it for my own kids, but have never gotten around to it, so I made a request a few weeks before visiting.  She was up for the challenge and made it for ME!  We made enough for everyone, of course, but I know she did it for me! I love that woman!  It was as good as I had remembered, in fact, even better!  Thanks, Becca!
Seeing this picture gets me all teary.  I have the most amazing family!  My brother was to me like John was to Emma, except I got to "mother" him every day.  He was my baby.  When he was young, he'd come climb in my bed during the middle of the night.  This happened for a few years!  He was the cutest thing--always wanting to wear camouflage and loving Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and dinosaurs.  Then basketball and soccer came into his life and he became their master!  I remember Matt as a young 8 year old making bets to the older kids in the neighborhood that he could make certain shots and he'd come home with money that he had won!  He was an icon in high school.  I was so blessed to have lived in Elko during those years to watch him play soccer, basketball, and run track.  I still marvel at his mission stories in Russia and love seeing the man he has become.  He graduated top of his class at dental school and is at Yale for his oral surgery residency.  He doesn't get to hang out in the beautiful buildings behind me because he spends most of his waking hours split in 2 hospitals, but it sure was fun seeing the campus.  Thanks for all the hospitality, Matt!  

2 comments:

Marie said...

I shouldn't have read this post. I now have a hankerin' for frozen hot chocolate!!!!!

Matt and Becca said...

We had so much fun with you here! Thanks again for including us in your family trip; it was such a treat to see all of your wonderful kids and show you around our new stomping grounds! That frozen hot chocolate will be hard to beat, I think we outdid ourselves, Kori!